Thursday, April 21, 2011

Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies

(^Pearl Jam, "Even Flow"^)

During a conversation about being home alone, I had a passing thought.

I wonder if I ever would have done that at my dad's apartment?

My dad passed away a year and a half ago. I can still remember his voice, his laugh. He had a loud laugh. And snore, he'd snore and it was as loud as a bear's growl. I can hear him affectionately teasing me, and then he would tickle me or kiss the top of my head. He was big on hugs, no matter how old I was. I guess that's part of the father-daughter relationship, you never get too old for that stuff.

He passed on his musical taste to me (rock/alt), and at the same time, encouraged my brother and I's individual explorations.

I remember one night when I was about 15 years old, I came over to his apartment with a Thrice cd. They scream a bit, mostly in their older albums. I put the cd in and as we talked and played board games. He smiled and although he didn't say that he liked it, when I asked him for feedback on the music, he... okay, I don't know how he did this, but he would comment on it, make me feel good about my musical taste and not diss the music. Even if he may have disliked the music. And he gave any music a chance, which I've learned to do now, however hesitant I am with some genres.

He was extremely encouraging of me when it came to band too. I would get nervous and try to play perfectly if he was in the audience. He tried to be at every concert, and he was, besides a few times when he was too sick. He'd stay until the end, and then search me out and, grinning from ear to ear, talk to me about it, praise me for my work. He was my biggest fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment